Four years on and superfast broadband hits 96% of premises

It’s four years since Kings Bromley and Yoxall became the first villages in the county to ‘go live’ as part of Superfast Staffordshire.  It’s an exciting project and you will have heard about it before.

Run jointly with BT Group and the government’s Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) programme, the county council is helping bring download speeds of at least 24 Mbps and above to the majority of homes and businesses across the county.

I’m sure you will all agree that superfast broadband speeds are pretty essential these days for everyone, whether it’s for business or leisure.  In fact, it’s now one of the things people look for when moving house.  Communicating with family members, running our smart devices like Amazon’s Alexa,  streaming music and television are all things we can do because of faster speeds.  And for local businesses faster connections are absolutely vital to compete too.

So far, we’ve enabled around 76,000 households and businesses to connect to superfast broadband speeds. The figure rises to more than 481,000, which is around 96 per cent of premises, when combined with commercial fibre roll-outs by private sector businesses, such as Openreach.  We are also continuing to look at further funding options to try and get the remaining 4% connected.

Local businesses can also benefit too and improve their efficiency through the Government operated £67 Million Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme. Small and medium sized businesses can apply for  vouchers worth up to £3,000 against the cost of a full fibre connection. This would give them a future proof ultrafast connection of up to 1 gigabit per second.

Groups of residents can also apply for the vouchers of up to £500 where a business is also included. Businesses or group applicants just need to find a supplier to start the process. You can find out more about the scheme by visiting https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/

People can also keep up to speed with the roll-out via the Superfast Staffordshire website: www.superfaststaffordshire.co.uk via Twitter @superfaststaffs and Facebook following Superfast Staffordshire.

Comments are closed.